Take the Bring Change 2 Mind Pledge
I pledge to follow the Bring Change 2 Mind principles:
For people living with mental illness:
- I am living with a mental illness that is treatable and manageable.
- I am a valuable and valued person and I deserve to be treated with respect.
- I am responsible for the decisions and choices I make in my life.
- Educating myself about the symptoms of my illness, and any side effects I may have from treatment, will help me find and use the resources I need to work toward stability.
- Communicating about my experiences with others will help them support me in difficult times and keep me “on track.”
- If I am feeling suicidal, it is critical that I reach out for help, for in the face of real pain and suffering, it is others who can help me with a commitment to live.
- I can reduce stigma in myself and in others by being open about living with mental illness, naming it out loud, and raising people’s awareness.
- It is likely that someone I know is living with a mental illness and that fear of stigma may be preventing them from accepting their illness and seeking help.
- I can make a difference by learning about mental health issues and the devastating effects of stigma.
- If someone I know exhibits sudden changes in behavior, I will pay attention and reach out to them.
- If someone I know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, I will take it seriously and make every effort to ensure they get help.
- I will not perpetuate or tolerate stigma of any kind and will commit myself to changing the way society views people living with mental illness.
Stand up against the stigma of mental illness
The fear of stigma can have a devastating effect on those living with mental illness. Change happens one person at a time. If you are living with a mental illness, know someone who is, or just want to help, take our pledge to help end stigma.